Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Take this job and...

I quit my job this week. To anyone reading this blog, that probably sounds very sudden considering that my last post was 6 months ago and was about going back to work. In the last six months I have learned a few things.
  1. I multi-task well, but only up to a point.
  2. Crawling babies and the church office do not mix well.
  3. 2 kids are not twice the work of one kid. It's more like all the snacks, laundry and energy of one child squared.
  4. For a ministry to continue growing, it needs time that I do no have any longer (see #3).
I love my job but I love being at home with my kids more. This is the only time in their lives that they will want me around this much. I try to remember this every morning at breakfast. I've just woken up, Pudding is being a three year old (i.e. awful) and the Tyke is demanding all my time and attention to keep him from causing himself serious bodily harm while he explores the laws of physics. During those mornings when I feel like I'm just barely keeping it together I remember, "They won't always want to sit and have breakfast with me. Someday when I am middle aged and they are young adults, they will rather go to IHOP with their loser friends than sit and have a nutritious breakfast with their boring old mother."
So, when my kids get busy building lives of their own, then I can throw myself back into the wonderful world of work but for right now, it is simply not the season.

No comments: